WELCOME to "El Carmen´s Orchard", the English blog from "Our Lady of El Carmen" School in LUCENA (Córdoba)- BIENVENID@S a "La Huerta del Carmen", el blog de Inglés del Colegio "Ntra. Sra. del Carmen" de LUCENA (Córdoba)

sábado, 18 de abril de 2009

SONGS FROM OLD IRELAND


As a present of wellcome I left you this present: A video of the mithic Irish group "The Dubliners", rediscovered by me in their recent play at Gran Teatro in Córdoba... I did enjoy their music in an ecstasy, as if I were in heaven, despite that in the Irish Heaven there's no beer (title of a popular song they sing: "In heaven there's no beer / that's why we drink it here"). If I have to choose a pair of my favourite songs, I'd say these: "A Spanish Lady" and "The Lord of the Dance"

After the concert, I discovered the lot of videos loged in You Tube from "The Dubliners" and I used them to motivate my pupils from 5th and 6th levels and they could sang a pair of most easy lyrics songs as "Molly Malone" or "The Wild Rover" (they ask me sometimes to replay them on You Tube again).

So I want to share my enthusiasm on Irish folk with you, because is a very close and easy resource you can use in your classes. I hang them on the left, only four, but there are many more at YT (I recommend "Wiskey In The Jar" and "I Wish I had Someone To Love Me" by the octogenarian Barney Mackenan, who could hardly raise to the scenary but whose fingers were literally invisible playing the banjo... Cheers!


Lord Of The Dance Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fzRZuGEr04

Spanish Lady Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmm7u7Z7kPU

Try for more videos in YOU TUBE